10 Warning Signs That Your Home May Need Rewiring
- Burning smells are always a cause for concern, electrical or not. If you are unsure where the smell is coming from it could be an electrical fault.
- Buzzing/sizzling sounds coming from electrics may be a cause for concern so it may be worth getting it checked out.
- Flickering or dimming lights could be a case of a loose or tired bulb, try replacing or tightening the bulb. If this doesn't help then this could be due to faulty wiring.
- Discoloured or hot switch plates, cords, or plugs can be due to loose connections or faulty wires.
- Light bulbs that frequently burn out in a socket can be down to a number of factors from faulty fittings to lose connections.
- Frequent tripped breakers or blown fuses can be a cause for concern, sometimes it can be down to an appliance overheating but sometimes it can be a more serious electrical issue.
- Electrical shocks when you plug in or touch cords is not a good sign at all and should be addressed urgently by a professional.
- Aluminium wiring is considered more of a risk than copper wiring and more likely to overheat and cause fires.
- Loose outlets can be dangerous and should be fixed sooner rather than later to avoid electrical shocks from exposed wiring.
- Sparks/arcs from an outlet when you plug or unplug cords need to be seen to immediately as they can easily lead to fires.
Other reasons to check the wiring:
Its good practice to have your wiring checked by a professional whether or not you are experiencing any of these warning signs. Reasons why you might want to call an electrician for an inspection could be:
- Your home is over 40 years old
- You use a lot of extension cords for power
- You have recently renovated or installed major new appliances that could strain your existing system
How can Quick Find help?
Quick Find Directories take the time and hassle out of finding qualified and approved electricians.
We understand that electrical work has stringent safety and legal aspects; it is time consuming and costly if amateurs make mistakes. Find out more about Quick Find's local vetted and recommended electricians.
If you're not used to hiring trades people and are not sure what you should be asking, take a look at our previous blog: 'Looking for local trusted traders? Here are our top questions to ask when getting a quote'. Now you should be feeling confident to get out there and get some quotes, good luck!
Share this page: